Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default Chip Foose' latest car: Impression

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
mj wrote:
That is some amazing work. That has to be one of the cleanest engine
compartments that I have ever seen.
I think I could work on something like that for the next 100 years and
not get anything even remotely that fine.
Mike

Yeah, it looks a little TOO fine.

The images look rendered to me. It is too clean and too perfect. And the
anti-aliasing perturbations indicate to me that the images were either

generated
in a package such as 3d studio max, or captured by a less-than-optimal

camera.

I still think they look fake, sorry.

They do look like they've been worked over in Photoshop a bit, but they also
could be the product of one of the big "soft box" studios that the car
companies use. Anybody can rent time in them.

When I had my ad agency 25 years ago we had a smallish version of one of
those, set up in an old warehouse. It was something we inherited from the
photo studio that had been there before us. Twenty feet by twenty-five feet,
with a sixteen-foot ceiling, it must have had two - or three-hundred yards
of spun-glass fabric over the lights.

We used it to shoot display photos for Casio, which were turned into
8-foot-high Translite (now Duratrans) transparencies for trade shows. We'd
shoot one of their six- or eight-foot-wide displays of big office
calculators, and the measured light intensity was less than 1/4 stop from
edge to edge. Not a shadow anywhere, and perfectly smooth highlights off of
the reflective parts of the plastic.

It can be done. Today, though, a little bit of digital "enhancement" can do
the same thing for a lot less money.

--
Ed Huntress