Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Default Glues and Their Proper Storage

Thanks, that's a keeper. Cheers, JG

David wrote:

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

How do you store your various glues?

With three different glues, I seldom have success.

- Super glue
With super glue, I use it once and when I come back later to use it
again the tube has hardened.
I keep the super glue container with its secured cap in a jar with
dessicant in the refrigerator.

I've got botles of CA that sat in my shed for probably 10 years that
are still usable. Building a trainer with my son with 'em.

- Contact glue
With contact glue, again I use it once and when I come back later to
use it again the can has solidified. I keep the contact glue with its
secured cap in a sealed ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Never had a can around long enough (used to do a LOT of laminate work)
to let it sit...

- Elmer's woodworking glue
With Elmer's woodworking glue, I notice that if an container is opened
the glue slowly thickens and finally turns into a sold mass within the
the container even if stored at room temperature with the cap securely
tightened.

The yellow stuff? Same as the CA.. Just seems to last and last as
long as the cover is on the bottle.

My "longevity" issue is with tubes of caulk or silicone sealant..
They never seem to last more than a week after I open 'em, regardless
of the measures I take to seal 'em up.

would you like a foolproof tip for keeping caulking good after opening?
wrap painter's tape around the tip and extend the wrap about an inch
or so above the nozzle (wrapping like a barber pole stripe). then
squeeze the caulk so you see it swell up inside the tape and then
release the pressure. the next time (a day or 6 months later) just
remove the tape and pull off the hardened stuff which will come off with
the tape. then you can squirt fresh caulk from the tube like it has
just been opened for the first time. You can repeat this process over
and over. I stumbled upon it after using the worthless "trick" of
shoving a nail into the tip, which doesn't work with a crap.

it works with panel adhesive, silicone and other caulks.

Dave