Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

Default Lubrication Cocktails? Marvel Mystery Oil?

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

Has anyone heard of/used Marvel Mystery Oil? Any opinions?
Someone I knew would mix this, I think w/ way oil, for better
"results"--whatever they were.

Marvel used to be mfr'd a stones throw from me (yonkers, NY), but was
apparently bought out by the TurtleWax peeple.
Seems sorta like Kroil, has a bit of a mint odor.

Marvel was the oil of choice of the pistol team gunsmith at MIT. I have
some & use it occasionally when I want a light oil a bit more viscous
than Rem Oil.

As for mixing oils, I suspect at some point you will stumble across two
products that are incompatible. The worse case scenario is that it
precipitates out something either gummy or abrasive. I wouldn't risk it.
Oils are cheap.

Doug White