Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lionel Johnson

Default rubber rejuv?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Ancient_Hacker spake thus:

"Rubber Love" sounds like one of those movies behind the "over 18"
door.

Better than silicone oil is methyl salicate, "oil of wintergreen", I
think. It's what print shops use by the gallon to rejuvenate their
acres of rubber rollers. Smells just like Doublemint gum. You can
get it in small quantities too.

Don't get the stuff on your fingers though-- it doesnt wash off and
your significant other will think you've been messing with the
Doublemint twins.

Hmmm; I'm a printer, but I've never heard of using this stuff on rubber.
There is something called "rubber rejuvenator" that we use on rubber
parts (rollers and blankets) that definitely doesn't smell anything like
mint gum: more like really nasty solvents, like acetone and MEK and
other stuff mixed together. It really works, though: takes off glazed
ink in a flash. Comes in gallon cans at graphic art supply places.

I have worked on Printer repairs for more years than I care to count,
and there are 3 treatments we use in Australia.

The best is Hurst #7 roller cleaner, used widely in the printing
business, but we get it in 25 litre cans, lasts years for a team of techs.

http://www.hurst.com.au/

This is a local supplier, but it is obviously available where Printing
machines are used. When we first got it, it was from a local Printing
shop, when it was proved, went to the source.

Next is CO Cleaner, comes in spray cans, and is very good at deglazing
rollers, doesn't smell like #7, is very volatile, you must be quick.

Last is Isopropyl Alcohol, Methylated Spirits will do, the least
volatile, and least effective, but does work to some extent.

Hurst #7 comes with a warning, is a cancer suspect, should not be used
in a closed room, but is very effective. CO Cleaner will be readily
available worldwide, and is much less of a risk.

If a pickup roller is worn, it will be seen after cleaning, and must be
replaced, or constant cleaning will be necessary.