Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MTLNews

Default Best Universal Remote?

I got myself 2 OneForAll URC-8811 units, and they work like a charm for all
my devices. Even wierd remotes like my Yamaha Receiver which needs discrete
codes, and a small Samsung TV which I could not get any other remote which
had access to some of the special buttons. And even if you can't get the
discrete tables for your devices (which are not too difficult to find on the
net), there are Learning keys. Remote can be had for $25 in most cases.

Combine that with a JP1 cable, and you got yourslef a fully customizable
remote, which can do just about anything for most IR remotes. They even
have the 9910 model, which is similar but has an RF addition. RF base,
which can be used as a repeater. Great for controling Larger HT units and
HTPC, which are hidden away in closets, etc....

The URC8811 is honestly the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Plenty
8811 and 8910/11 units to be had on ebay also. Remotes are made by UEI, and
distributed under the "OneForALL" name brand.

They even have 4 macro buttons, which I love for turning on all my devices
one shot, and same for turning them all off.

Just my $0.02 worth.
-Tony

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Matti Kaki
wrote:
In article .com,
says...

The universal remotes will never do all the functions of the set. You
will only be able to do the basics. I found for me, the best universal
was the One-For-All series.

And if you have SONY HDD-DVD -recorder you probably can't find
an universal remote which can be used. I needed extra remote for
upstairs where I'm using wireless link.

Finally I found a reasonable good one from Clas Ohlson. Was 66 euros
and it can be programmed. Is quite sutrdy too. May a little bit too
sturdy. :-) Has worked just fine. Named only "SMART Remote".

http://www.clasohlson.se/images/prod...-29_161029.jpg

It is a swedish company and has no shops in the UK. But if somebody
recognizes this remote it is perhaps possible to find worldwide too.

This programmable remote has been quite popular but I haven't tired it.

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/

Medion has one too but it is just awful. You can't really use it and
some SONY codes were impossible to store. Here is a picture just for
warning. Do not buy this one!

http://www.sci.fi/~oh2bio/medion.jpg

I have a big problem with remotes that only do one TV set. I prefer to
have at least two TV's
set up and running.

greg