Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Carlson

Default Opinions on combining bathrooms? Effect on selling house?

Anyone want to offer his or her opinion on whether a small bathroom in the
master BR of a house will be a hindrance to selling?

Off my master BR, there's a *tiny* 3/4 bath, 4 1/2 ft x 5 ft, with a 2 1/2
ft x 2 1/2 ft shower stall on the end. It's adequate for a single guy, but I
can't picture a couple using that one bathroom.

Adjacent to that bathroom, off the hallway, is a full bath, about 7ft x 8ft
including the tub alcove. Not huge, but a person can at least dry off
without bumping elbows against the wall.

Since the two bathrooms are right next to each other, I've been wondering
how it would work out to do a major remodel, taking down the wall and
combining the two bathrooms. Still wouldn't be a huge, luxurious bathroom,
but might at least be big enough for a bigger vanity with two sinks and a
whirlpool tub.

Two disadvantages: Combining with the main floor bathroom means I'd either
have to give up the private entrance from the master BR, OR have two doors
into the bathroom, one from the BR and one from the hall (something I've
never liked when I've seen it in other houses).
The other disadvantage might be that the house would list as having 2
bathrooms rather than 3! (There is one 3/4 bath in the finished basement. If
that's the way it really works. Currently one full, two 3/4 baths, so it
would list as a 2 1/2 bath house? But if I combined, it would be 1 3/4
baths?

So there's the tradeoff of a tiny master bath that would turn away a lot of
buyers vs. a house that appears to have fewer bathrooms.

Whaddya think???