Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default What is it? XCIX

R.H. wrote:
Shouldn't this thread be called : " What is it? IC" instead ?

I use a web site that translates numbers into roman numerals and vise versa,
if you try to translate IC it says invalid input, so I guess for some reason
they don't use that for 99.

The standard rule is that, when a low-value letter is placed before a
higher-value letter to indicate subtraction (such as IX indicating
10-1=9), the low-value letter can only be the next power-of-ten below
the higher-value letter. Thus, V and X can only be preceeded by I, L
and C can only be preceeded by X, and D and M can only be preceeded by
C. And so, to get 99, one writes the 90 as XC, and the 9 as IX. And
thus: XCIX.

- Brooks