Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.models.rc.air
Rod Speed

Default Glues and Their Proper Storage

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT skiddz "AT"
adelphia "DOT" net wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:16:18 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

I think this whenever I see the "refrigeration" storage method, as it
applies to glue, coffee beans, whatever.

Most think this is all there is to it, but you have to consider that,
whenever you take that item out of the refrigerator, it is a magnet
for water in the air and will absorb it until its temperature reaches
equilibrium with the surrounding environment. Water in your
superglue, water in your beans, its all bad and it all accelerates
the degradation process possibly even more than letting it sit on
the shelf. Plus if you use as many beans as I do per cuppa joe,
there just aint no sense in it unless you're buying the 50lb.
econopak direct from colombia.

So if you are going to use this method remember that and don't take
it out of its (airtight) bag until it has set for awhile at the
working temperature.

Good point. Remember, cold air is much less moisture laden
than warm air so the fridge may actually be drying the stuff out.

That's completely mangling the physics.

What matters is that the humidity level is 100%.

The drying out effect is actually due to ice condensing out of the
air on the coldest surfaces and its that effect that drys things out.