Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.models.rc.air
Rod Speed

Default Glues and Their Proper Storage

Enoch Root wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Enoch Root wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT skiddz
"AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote
Enoch Root wrote

I think this whenever I see the "refrigeration" storage
method, as it applies to glue, coffee beans, whatever.

Most think this is all there is to it, but you have to consider
that, whenever you take that item out of the refrigerator, it is
a magnet for water in the air and will absorb it until its
temperature reaches equilibrium with the surrounding environment.
Water in your superglue, water in your beans, its all bad and it
all accelerates the degradation process possibly even more than
letting it sit on the shelf. Plus if you use as many beans as I
do per cuppa joe, there just aint no sense in it unless you're
buying the 50lb. econopak direct from colombia.

So if you are going to use this method remember
that and don't take it out of its (airtight) bag until
it has set for awhile at the working temperature.

Good point. Remember, cold air is much less moisture laden
than warm air so the fridge may actually be drying the stuff out.

That's completely mangling the physics.

What matters is that the humidity level is 100%.

It's going to be the dew point for the air
localized around the cool object, I think.

It should be at the dew point thruout the fridge.

You seem to still be thinking inside the box.

Nope, you are.

Remove the object from the icebox, and
what the dew point in the icebox is irrelevant.

I wasnt even commenting on that situation, I was
JUST commenting on his DRYING OUT claim.

I'm talking about *ambient* relative humidity, which can be quite low,
and you (having only mentioned humidity)... were still inside the icebox.

Because I was JUST commenting on his DRYING OUT claim.

You won't get any condensation (unless relative hum. is 100%)
until you cross the dew point. You'll do this even if the relative
humidity isn't 100% in a localized area around a cool object if
the object cools the surrounding area to the dew point.

Irrelevant to his DRYING OUT claim which I was commenting on.

You can have a low relative humidity at the ambient temperature,
meaning a large difference between the air temp. and the dew
point, but because the air temp drops around the object you
cross the dew point and condensation occurs.

Thats mangling the story too. The dew point is just the temp
at which dew occurs and is basically 100% relative humidty then.

But it's been sloshing around in the back of my
head for a while now, so I may have that wrong.

Yeah, it is rather mangled.

I assume the rest of your post is still inside the box.

Nope, yours is.