Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA writes:

could I
humbly suggest that a sticker saying "max towing weight 1,000lbs" be
put on the thing?

If it ever came down to a situation where someone would read it, and heed
it, then I might do something like that. For my personal use, why bother.
(On the other hand, I've never had much use for that steel punch stamping
kit, maybe I'll stamp it on there for that Canadian trip someday, heh heh.)

*******sigh******** I'm probably ****ing into the wind on this one, but
here goes anyway. Why not just do it, cover the situation where
"Someone Else" might be tempted to overload it. This is called
engineering. Plan for the worse.

This whole culture of Jeep hitches has me baffled. People insist on
putting class III hitches on a short-wheelbase soft-top vehicle that
dubiously purports even a minimal 2000 lb capacity. The guys who also have
the jacked-up suspensions, cheating death with their unstable aftermarket
mods, are the extreme version of this.

The rev head culture amazes me too sometimes. Driving to the local
shops in a 2 ton 4wd vehicle fitted out to blast through the Amazon
Jungle defies logic. But as long as they dont do anything to kill me,
they are welcome to it. So, by your logic, refusing to take even
minimal precautions against misuse is OK because "other people" do even
more stupid things. Do you write software this way?

THere is a kind of "impedance matching" optimization to this type of
design, and I believe I've approximated it for the intended application.

Written by a true, tunnel vision, engineer. A pity that the rest of
the world doesnt, or cant think like this.

Richard, you posted the design on this group. People responded. You
negate any feedback you receive. They are not personal attacks - at
least, not until you started responding in a silly manner.

One of the beginnings of maturity is recognising how little you know as
an individual. Intelligence is then finding the information you need to
overcome this. It is not just "Jeep trailer hitches" - its for the rest
of your life, and your life to date, as well. Think about this -
please - your life might start to get better and less confrontational.

Anderw VK3BFA.