Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

Default How to get rid of paint drips

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...

RicodJour wrote:
Jean wrote:
I just repainted a door today and when looking at it tonight I
discovered a drip in the paint (latex enamel). I'm guessing I cannot
sand the drip until the paint has fully cured (~30 days). Is there some
way I can get rid of the drip now before I do the second coat of paint?

Use a razor blade to shave it off. A single edge razor blade, not the
blade that's used in a razor/utility knife.

There's a better way, however, than using the leading edge of the
blade. I learned this through fixing paint runs in automotive
painting:

Take a single edge blade, and some 1000 grid wet/dry sandpaper. Hole
the blade at a 30 degree or so angle to the paper, and swipe it across
a few times.

What happens is that a burr will develop on the edge on the opposite
side that is touching the paper. Now, take the blade, with the burr
against the paint run, and swipe down, in the OPPOSITE direction of the
sharp edge, so you're pulling towards you. What happens is that the
burr will shave a very slight amount of paint off with each swipe,
instead of cutting the run.

If the burr loses it's edge, just swipe it against the sandpaper a few
more times. Eventually you'll get the run to just disappear into the
background.

Note that however you do it, the paint MUST cure first, otherwise
you'll just have a big goopy mess.

a woodworking scraper is the same thing, but will last for a lot longer.