Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

Default Salvaging old drive belts

David:
I keep seeing postings about how to make do with old, stretched, worn belts
because replacement belts are, according to the poster, "impossible to get"
...... not so.
Aftermarket belts are READILY available from many suppliers.
Why screw around with old, worn belts or trying to make do with
unsatisfactory, makeshift substitutions?
Do you google?
Do a google search for "tape deck belts" .... In less than a second you
will obtain hundreds of good hits and locations where you can purchase NEW
proper replacement belts.
It can be a lot of work to get to the belts in some equipment, so make the
most of your effort and install a new belt that won't fail in the near
future.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

snipped:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
So since I'm pretty sure this will be hard to impossible to replace, I'm
wondering if anyone has any techniques for shrinking or rejuvenating old
belts. (It's still pretty supple and clean.) I tried heating it,
carefully, and am letting it sit to see if that might have fixed it. (I
guess another alternative is trying to harvest a belt, but I'd rather
not go on that particular hunt.)

viable opposition.