Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
billy ray

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Maybe you need something like this:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...2772921&idx=40

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Andrew VK3BFA writes:

could I
humbly suggest that a sticker saying "max towing weight 1,000lbs" be
put on the thing?

If it ever came down to a situation where someone would read it, and heed
it, then I might do something like that. For my personal use, why bother.
(On the other hand, I've never had much use for that steel punch stamping
kit, maybe I'll stamp it on there for that Canadian trip someday, heh
heh.)

This whole culture of Jeep hitches has me baffled. People insist on
putting class III hitches on a short-wheelbase soft-top vehicle that
dubiously purports even a minimal 2000 lb capacity. The guys who also
have
the jacked-up suspensions, cheating death with their unstable aftermarket
mods, are the extreme version of this.

THere is a kind of "impedance matching" optimization to this type of
design, and I believe I've approximated it for the intended application.