Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

Default Turning and finishing a mirror finish on mild steel

Jim Stewart wrote:

The frustrating thing is that the tool will cut
beautifully for maybe a tenth of an inch and then
for no reason dig in. I was hoping that there was
some magical tool geometry that might help.

I don't think I can take a .025" cut and hold the
tolerance that I want, but I will do some tests
on a piece of scrap. I will also play with a greater
positive rake and diamond stoning the tool.

What Harold and Chuck said, plus I'll repeat some advice I got here when
I was having a similar problem: do all the dances to the Rigidity God,
(Make sure you are facing the direction for the intended type of
Rigidity or you'll get distracted from machining.)
including minimum tool/holder overhang, snugged gibs, lock unneeded
slides. Made all the difference for me.
--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".