Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

Default Two finger catch on Keller power hacksaw - why two?

On 27 Jan 2006 10:18:50 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for explaining that. The one thing that bothers me about this
saw is when it is done cutting it drops very hard and seems like the
pawls and sprocket are getting abused at the time they release.

I don't know about Kellers, but isn't there usually a hydraulic damper ?

In some designs there's a near-vertical cylinder with a short
barrel-shaped piston, hung from a pivot on the hacksaw frame. Oil in the
cylinder is forced through a hole in the piston, slightly damping the
descent of the hacksaw.

There's also a pin mounted in the bottom of the cylinder. When the
hacksaw cuts through and the piston drops, this blocks most of the
piston's oil hole, increasing the damping for the bottom of the fall.