Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.models.rc.air
Pete C.

Default Glues and Their Proper Storage

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

How do you store your various glues?

With three different glues, I seldom have success.

- Super glue
With super glue, I use it once and when I come back later to use it
again the tube has hardened.
I keep the super glue container with its secured cap in a jar with
dessicant in the refrigerator.

I don't use this often, but a bottle of the gel version seems to be just
fine after a year or so at varying temperature in the unheated shop.

- Contact glue
With contact glue, again I use it once and when I come back later to
use it again the can has solidified. I keep the contact glue with its
secured cap in a sealed ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

I use this a bit more than super glue, generally using the good
flammable version for laminate. I don't recall ever having it go bad on
me. The nonflammable and newer latex version may have different shelf
lives.

- Elmer's woodworking glue
With Elmer's woodworking glue, I notice that if an container is opened
the glue slowly thickens and finally turns into a sold mass within the
the container even if stored at room temperature with the cap securely
tightened.

I don't use the Elmer's wood glue, all I have used in recent years is
the Titebond II which I have excellent results with. I typically have
one of the big jugs of the stuff and use it to refill a couple of the
smaller squeeze bottles with the push pull tops. These have sat in the
shop over hot summers and cold winters and I've use it under all
temperatures without any problems.

Any hints as to how to keep glue stored so it doesn't go bad?

I don't know as you seem to have particularly bad luck. Perhaps read the
container for recommended storage conditions.

Pete C.

Thanks

TMT