Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Turning and finishing a mirror finish on mild steel

I'm turning 2 flywheels for a working model
IC engine and I've not been able to get the
quality of finish that I'd like.

The flywheels are about 1" thick and 4" in
diameter. I was working on the face of one
last night. The problem is the small digs
the cutting tool occasionally makes. I can
polish out the overall surface to a mirror
finish with successively finer grades of
sandpaper, but I cannot remove the digs with
the coarsest grade of sandpaper I have.

Can anyone suggest a tool shape and feed that
might give me a better finish. My tool is
slightly rounded with the recommmended angles
for steel.