Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Default Salvaging old drive belts

Here's a problem: my old (25 yrs.) Philips cassette deck recently
crapped out after working flawlessly since buying it new. The problem
was apparently mechanical: it just couldn't move the tape anymore,
especially trying to rewind or fast-forward near the end.

Anyhow, I opened it up and took the transport out, thinking to lube it.
Turns out the problem is simpler: the drive belt is stretched out enough
to not grab the pulleys anymore.

So since I'm pretty sure this will be hard to impossible to replace, I'm
wondering if anyone has any techniques for shrinking or rejuvenating old
belts. (It's still pretty supple and clean.) I tried heating it,
carefully, and am letting it sit to see if that might have fixed it. (I
guess another alternative is trying to harvest a belt, but I'd rather
not go on that particular hunt.)

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.