Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

billy ray wrote:
The last time I hauled a rubber boat it was atop my WJ.... How dangerous was
that?

Please, I'm just trying to get my toy boat and waverunner trailer 6 miles
down to the beach.

Can I throw in my 10 cents worth here?. I am NOT an engineer - I saw
the drawing, thought, MM, thats looks pretty cool. Subsequent
discussion here tells me it is not. How would I know otherwise ? - I
dont have the depth of engineering knowledge to see what looks like a
reasonable trailer hitch and know that I should be careful? - could I
humbly suggest that a sticker saying "max towing weight 1,000lbs" be
put on the thing? - yes, Richard, you designed and built it for a
specific application, you know what NOT to do - but what about the next
owner? - they wont know.....

This is one of the resons that there are standards - not only to (try
to) protect the stupid, but also the rest of us who dont have a high
degree of knowledge and skill in fields other than their own. And, in
this case, I readily admit to being one of those ignorant people. My
field is electronics, not mechanical or automotive engineering.

But it was a nice posting - know a bit more about the subject now, so
thanks folks - glad groups like this are around....

Andrew VK3BFA.