Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Any tips for finding air compressor leak?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote
in message
I have an IR home-shop compressor (20 gal, 1 1/2
hp) with a leak. I just measured & timed it: in
17 hours the pressure dropped from 100 psi to 55.
This means the compressor runs several times a
day just to maintain pressure. It is loud, so
this is annoying.

In an attempt to find the leak, I sprayed soapy
water on EVERYTHING: the entire tank, the drain
fittings, the "Christmas tree" fittings
(pressure switch, guage, etc). I even
disconnected the pump output line to see if the
check valve was leaking back into the pump. I
found a small leak in the pressure guage
connection, which I fixed (tightened). It STILL
leaks (but not the pressure guage)!!

Now it has become a challenge. I've GOT to find
that leak! Before I start taking parts off to
eliminate them as leaks, does anybody have any
tips/tricks for finding leaks that might save me
the work?

Thanks,
Bob

I'd bet good money on the non-return valve. In my
experience a check valve is a devise that restrict
flow in one direction and restricts it slightly
more in the other direction. If you want to stop
it completely, put a solenoid valve in the line
before the check valve and connect it pressure
switch. Don't forget to tee a pressure relief
valve off the line,upstream of the solenoid valve,
so that the system doesn't blow up when the coil
on the solenoid burns out.

Tom