Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

Default Moved fridge...

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:02:45 GMT, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

Approximately how long to stand a fridge/freezer unit before plugging it in?
Had to tilt it over to almost horizontal on several occasions to move it.

The normal recommendation from manufacturers is 24 hours to allow the
lubricating oil to settle out.

That's assuming it wasn't tilted much.

I left a freezer standing for 3 days after having tilted it
horizontal, but it still destroyed itself when it was switched
on. I spoke with a Hotpoint engineer afterwards, and his
comment was that they should never be tilted that much,
but if you have, probably the best chance of recovery is
to switch it on for only 1 minute every 10 minutes for the
first hour or two, keeping door open so it doesn't get cold.

I suspect a freezer is more likely to wreck itself in these
circumstances than a fridge though.

--
Andrew Gabriel