Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John

Default What is it? XCIX

Sawney Beane wrote:

Tom wrote:

BILL MARRS wrote:

571 Tap for tapping holes in wood? Think "broom handle"

572 Pliers for working with explosives. The business end cuts fuse, and
crimps blasting
caps. The pointy handle is for putting a hole in the dynamite stick
to push the cap
into.

573 Lawn thatcher

Bill looks on the money with #572, see he

http://www.trevithick-society.org.uk...ction/0433.htm

Tom

571 I think they call it a chaser, to clean four pitches of threads.

572 The open hole in #572 looks like it's made to cut, not
crimp. I think it's from the days when electricity was supplied
through solid conductors that depended on air spacing because
rubber insulation wasn't reliable. I think the jaw was designed to
strip and cut 8-gage wire, and the hole in the handle was an aid
for making Western Union splices. Hmmmm... what gage were
telegraph lines?

574 It's obviously to clamp a stack of LP records together so
they don't warp on the shelf. Why didn't *I* think of that!

# 572 I had one of those back in the fifties when I was a little
kid. It was a wire cutter but I used it for cutting anything i could
get in the blades. It worked good for trimming the apple tree we had in
the back yard, but it was really ment for stripping and cutting wire.
It had a lot of leverage since the cutting hole was close to the pivot.

John