Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Need some variacs in the UK

According to Mark Rand :
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:50:05 +0000, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Huh? Switch off the power to adjust them? What are you doing,
adjusting by gripping and rotating the brush carrier? Any one you find
should accept an insulated shaft (if genuine General Radio Variac), or
with a built-in metal shaft (with other brands, which are called
Powerstat or other similar names. "Variac" is not truly a generic term,
but rather a brand name. I don't know what happened to General Radio
who made them, but that is who used to make them.

snip

I suspect that Christopher's ones have come out of a panel at some time and
don't have any enclosure at all!

They may *never* have been in an enclosure. I've got at least
one 5A Variac in a fitted foam pack from General Radio. But -- it
includes the shaft, the knob, and the dial plate for mounting when you
put it in whatever you intend to use it with.

If you want it to be a benchtop one, you extend the shaft out
the other side, mount it with the mounting face down, and put a fitted
enclosure over it. (An alternative is to put it in a rectangular
housing, with the knob facing out one of the large sides, and with an
outlet and power cord coming out of other surfaces, along with an on/off
switch, and (perhaps) a voltmeter.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |