Mike Hibbert

Default Why is this a bad idea?

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message
"Roger Mills" wrote in message

"Mike Hibbert" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm guessing that this is a pretty daft idea as I have seen no-one

else
suggest it. I'm looking at shower options at the moment, and I live

in
an
area with fairly low water pressure. One of the easiest options

would
be
have an electric shower, but I have hear that the water pressure

would
be
even worse in winter as the shower would need to heat the water from

lover
ambient temperature.

So, why not mix the water with hot water from the combi? I could

have
feed
fron the hot and cold water supply going into one pipe and then

feeding
the
electric shower. The water would be pre-warmed and therefore could

be
made
the same all year round. If the electric shower wasn't raising the
temperature too much it woudn't have such a problem delivering more

water
would it?

Like I say, this is based purely on my own "sort of" logic rather

than
any
fact, so shoot me down gently!

Cheers
Mike

I don't profess to be an expert on combis - but surely, if you connect

the
output of the combi to a cold supply at mains pressure, you won't have

any
flow through the combi - because the input and output will be at the

same
pressure.

If the combi delivers an adequate supply of hot water, all you need is

shower mixing valve to blend hot and cold - rather than an electric

shower.

Not sure I understand your first point, what I thought about doing would

be
a "Y" shaped connection with the hot (from combi) and the mains cold

coming
in at the top bits of the Y and then the shower being supplied from the

the
down bit. The water should draw from both supplies?

Unfortunately the supply from the combi isnt that good, the mains cold

is
only 11 litres per minute at best.

Putting in a separate electric shower will achieve nothing at all. Poor
flow and pressure will always be there with a combi or an electric shower.

Firstly, I would get the mains pipe uprated from the street stopcock.

This
is necessary, so should be done. Secondly have the supply to the combi

from
the house stop cock uprated to 22mm if the new mains does not improve
matters substantially. It is a matter of working back from the mains

supply
and seeing how matters perform, then eliminating the next obvious
bottleneck.

Even if you have a poor flow and pressure in your district, I assume this
will not last forever, so uprating the mains will pay dividends when the
district is uprated.

Yeah, this is a good point, but (and this is a big but....) we are currently
not on a meter and really dont want to be on one. We have a fairly large
pond and what with evaporation, this would be expensive to keep topped up.
If we upgraded anything, the water board would (I expect) want us to go onto
a meter.

Mike