Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Cheep Face Mills / Indexable End Mills?

Dave Lyon wrote:
The other problem is that getting the boss to buy any tooling
is like pulling teeth, so I figured I'd buy my own larger dia.
face mill (with the boss springing for the inserts) but I don't
want to spend an arm and a leg on one ($50 would be cool).

Do you suppose the boss won't buy the proper tooling because he knows that
you will?

If you finish a job twice as fast with the proper tooling, who gets to keep
the extra money earned?

Do the best job you can with the tooling you're given. If the boss won't
spring for the proper equipment, that's his problem.

BTW, I'm not a disgruntled employee, I'm a shop owner.

As the well documented flycutter coward amongst usg, I'm surprise that
it has not been suggested. Flycutters can be inexpensive, and would
probably do a fine job. Dave makes a good point: consider making the
boss pay for it. See Enco for inexpensive import flycutters and square
tool bits.

BTW, don't take my word for anything re flycutters: I've never used one,
though that will change next week.

Bill