Proactive Proactive is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Why don't contractors / vendors seem to care about selling a product or
service?

I don't know if its because business is so good right now that they
don't need my money, or that they are over stretched and can not accept
any new clients, but I am completely amazed at how contractors and
vendors do not seem to care about making a sale.

I'll call them up saying that I'm interested in getting a particular
job done. The receptionist takes the message and says she'll forward
it to the sales/service department, and half the time they don't bother
calling me back. I end up having to "chase" them for days calling them
over and over until I finally get a response.

SNIP...

I've spoken to various friends about this issue, and they've had the
same experience. I don't get why this seems to be so prevalent in the
home renovation / construction industry.

I am a contractor and registered here just to respond to your message. I have a small company that does home repairs and improvements. I take pride in responding to clients / potential clients in a timely manner. I never forget that by calling me, they have gone out of their way to give me an opportunity to earn their business. I’m sorry that you have been disappointed in your efforts to hire a dependable contractor, but as you are already aware, unfortunately yours is not a unique story.

From a contractor’s perspective, I could tell you all sorts of stories about difficult clients… but there is no point. Every client deserves the very best service my company can provide.

I can tell you it is a difficult balancing act to schedule all the activities involved in this business and manage resources to remain profitable.

99 percent of my business comes from referrals. Hopefully you will find someone you can trust and depend on in your area. And when you do, make sure you give is name to everyone you know. He will appreciate it and so will they.