Posted to alt.home.repair
NaN

Default Radon mitigation

46erjoe wrote:
The new home I'm buying has slightly elevated radon levels. Can an
amateur do this fix. There is a sump pump at the corner of the full
basement. Can I use that as the source of pull with a pipe going up
the wall and out the side of the house? There are numberous small
cracks in the floor too. How do I seal them. Ultimately I will be
finishing off the basement for a family room, so I should do all this
now, yes?

Thanks

The homes in my neighborhood are all 5-6 year old. We are in a high
radon area according to EPA map, so it is mandatory to have radon
mitigation in all houses. The builder just used a 3" PVC that connect
the sump pump to the outside through the rim joist, next to the 2"
water pipe. The PVC pipes are not even soldered. No electric devices
are used in the pipe. Sump cover and joints on the PVC connections
are sealed.

Since the kids are starting to sleep in the basement, I got concerned,
and bought a radon monitor (Radon Pro III) a few weeks ago for $100 on
the net, and measured the level at 1.5 pci/l, which is OK. Not sure
what the level would be without the 3" PVC.