Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default Wallpaper over un-primed drywall

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:37:58 GMT, "eagleeye1200"
wrote:

Looking to strip wallpaper. Looks like the wallpaper was installed directly
over wallboard without priming. I think the wallboard is older as the paper
is kind of a brown/grey cardboard looking substance as opposed to the
"white" paper of todays wallboard.

Any suggestions on whether I can get the old wallpaper off without severely
damaging the underlying wallboard?

thanks,

I did a job like that last summer when I removed the paper in my
kitchen. What a nightmare. Walls were not primed and some of the
wall board was up with the wrong face out. Took a full day to get the
paper off and about a week to patch the wall board afterwards.

I had a similar, perhaps worse, problem in my downstairs bathroom.
Not only did the nitwits put paper up on an unprimed and unsized
wall, but it looked like there was a skim coat of mud over the
wallboard. When I got the paper wet enough to come off the scraper
also made big divots in the skim coat. After repairing the walls
as bes I could I primed with BIN then a quality latex paint
(Benjamin Moore). After a few months the paint started cracking an
peeling. I scraped the peeling parts down and applied KILZ
(suggested by a sheetrock taper) and painted again; better, but
it's still cracking in spots. What a mess! I'd have been better
off tearing out all the sheetrock and starting over. I may have to
yet. I *HATE* paper!

I've got a dining room that my wife wants the paper removed. The
paper is tight. I'm going to fill the seams, prime it and paint over
it. No way i'm going through that again.

I don't blame you.

--
Keith