Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Purchasing Furnace - 2-Stage Variable vs. Standard

Are you crazy? CO monitors have been known to fail. If you don't wake up one
morning, will you have enough life insurance to take care of your family? If
one of your family members doesn't wake up, will you be able to live with
the guilt? Turn the damn thing off and get some supplemental heat. That
local contractor can probably have a new heater and (unconnected)
refrigerant coil installed within days of you signing the contract.

"pipco" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing it because it has 2 cracked heat exchangers. This was
discovered when a repairman was out to replace the igniter that had
gone out. He ordered us not to run the furnace, but it's cold! I'm
aware of the risks and have a working CO monitor in the house. Even if
I could replace the heat exchangers under warranty (which I can't) I
feel that this is a sign of things to come, so the furnace must be
replaced.