Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Okay to change Air Return?

dave wrote:
I'm starting a project to finish my basement and my cold air return
runs across my floor joists from one end of the house to the other -
front to back. It passes in front of three basement windows and dips
under the basement stair landing on the way. My question - one I'm too
intimidated to post on that nasty HVAC site - is whether or not it is
feasible to just put my cold air return in the basement near the
furnace in order to eliminate all the ductwork. I normally wouldn't
consider this, but since I am finishing the basement and will keep it
the same temp as the rest of the house, I thought it might even help
circulate the air throughout the house. In addition, I am installing
radiant heat flooring in my kitchen, which is where the cold air return
is now. Right now, I have about 40 feet of duct work for one return in
my kitchen. Thanks for your help.

That's poor practice. It means the basement door
must be kept open for all the return flow (I'm guessing)

Also, Codes no longer permit the return opening
near the furnace (or other burners).
See:
http://www.codecheck.com/pg19_20mechanical.html#ducts
Fig. m5

Your local Code may be even more restrictive.
You might not care, but it can make for a difficult
time when you sell the house.

Jim