Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Thorndike

Default Crazy (and lucky) or Common?

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:20:58 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"George" wrote: (clip) Have seen folks recommend a piece of hacksaw blade
for a parting tool, though. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My home made thin parting tool is made from an old kitchen knife with a
riveted wooden handle. That way I didn't have to tell myself about making
the handle "tomorrow." Another nice thing about a knife blade is that the
back of the blade (which becomes the top, when used for parting) is the
thickest part. This means that the friction with the sides of the cut is
minimized.

Leo,

I did the same thing with a knife that was being thrown away by our local
OUTBACK steakhouse. Works well except for the fact that I have nicked up
my toolrest a bit. It is the rest that came with my Nova 3k.

I wish I knew why they made them so soft. I have thought about filing a
groove in the top and inserting a long piece of drill rod along the length
to make it a bit harder and smoother.

Any thoughts?

Thorndike