Posted to rec.woodworking
Billy Smith

Default The Perfect Mitre

I used to struggle to make good miter joints for picture frames.
Recently I made a miter cutting jig that has worked very well.
I got the design from the Web but unfortunately I didn't save the
Web location.

It is basically a sled made of MDF or plywood that slides in
the miter gauge slots of my table saw. Two hardwood fences
are bolted to the sled at a right angle so that where they meet
is where the blade cuts into the sled. You adjust the angles of
the fences so that 1) each fence is at a perfect 45 deg. angle
to the blade and 2) the two fences are at a perfect right angle.
Do this with test pieces of scrap similar to what you would
use for a picture frame.

If you can find such a jig on the web you'll see how it works
immediately. It is pretty simple and it makes almost perfect
miters for me. A key: the opposing pieces must be exactly
the same length which you can get by clampling a stop block
to the fence when you make the cut.

"roger kravitz" wrote in message

I am having trouble with kitchen Pelmet and Cornices mitres. the
Material is Melamine covered MDF and I can't get an invisable joint. I
want to know the secret of the perefect Mitre.

--
roger kravitz