Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default Grizzly Tools on Amazon

Grizzly is a third-party merchant. If you want to switch to a comparable
Delta, Jet, or Powermatic you can get the $150 discount, but the discount
still puts them at a higher price than the Grizzly.

When I saw the promotion, I immediately went to the grizzly stuff on
amazon thinking it too good to be true. As it turns out, it was. :-)
I compared the dj-20 to the new parallelogram dj-20 copy at griz. Even
with the discounts and free shipping, the griz was still a better deal
with shipping. If you ask me, that's disgusting. Makes me wonder what
delta's markup is on these machines now that they're all made in china.
They off-shored everything to "remain competative" but I don't see
their prices dropping any. Maybe now the delta kit will come down
because of grizzly. I doubt it though.

I ended up with the 31-300 belt/disk sander because with the discounts,
it was a better deal than the griz equivalent believe it or not. I'm
also sort of long-term in the market for the delta 12" turret radial
arm saw. That would have been a good deal this time around since griz
doesn't make a RAS.

I also tried to work out a way to get a sliding compound miter saw.
Unfortunately neither delta nor porter cable (that was a rule on one of
my coupons) have a 12" SCMS. They have 10 inchers, but their 12s are
not sliders. I passed this time. I really want the bosch or the
makita.

A new jointer is #1 on my list at the moment, but I couldn't make that
work either unless it was a 6" model. I'm really after the new 10"
from griz.

So since I don't have any sanding machines at all, I opted for the
31-300. Everyone says it's indespensisble. And I'm already looking
foward to sanding dovetailed drawers with it.

If you're in the market for a drill press, I bet you could make it a
better deal than griz.

brian