Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

Default Accounting for small shop

Brian Mahaney wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a book that would cover accounting/bookkeeping for a very
small manufacturing business. For example, I build custom furniture. I
don't keep any materials in stock. I buy only what I need when I need it.
I have two books: one is fine for a small retail business, the other is
from a class I took back in the late '80's, and it's fine if you are
say...WMH Toolgroup (I don't remember much from that class). I have been
building custom furniture for the last year and have been tracking my
finances with Quickbooks Simple Start. It doesn't seem adequate, and I'm
not sure I'm even using it properly. Specifically, it would be nice to
have info on properly setting up my chart of accounts. I know that
visiting an accountant would be smart at some point (perhaps that point is
now), but I am on a very tight budget and was hoping to delay a little
longer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian Mahney

"Portfolio of Accounting Systems for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses"
from the National Society of Public Accountants and published by
Prentice-Hall. My version which was printed in 1987 is ISBN
0-13-685305-6. I assume it has been republished since then and maybe
updated. It is written for manual systems, but the structure of a Chart
of Accounts doesn't change due to computerization.

Dave Hall