Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Proud of myself

Steve wrote:

Great job T.Alan.

I will proceed with my repairs of a dead sensor.

Same type as yours, for a three axis Sargon DRO. I purchased it with a dead
Y axis but figured I could swap the good Z sensor over to the Y rail and
have at least a two axis DRO. This I have done.

I see all the components, just as you describe.

Now, I would appreciate some ID or more descriptive info on this "Grain of
Wheat" lamp. Something I can speak when this plumber walks into the elex
parts store. (I have done electronic repairs before but never anything on
the Micro-Miniature scale.)

A grain of wheat bulb is a tiny glass capsule which (once) had a filament in
it. It is probably blackened inside the glass from the vaporized Tungsten.
It will have two tiny copper wires coming out of it. When I say tiny, I
mean
something like .1" diameter and maybe .3" long at the most.

I would replace these with an infrared LED and a series resistor calculated
to draw the proper current for the LED. You may not even need to run
full rated current on modern IR LEDs, as they produce so much output.
The LED won't burn out again.

Jon