Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chris

Default Band saw blade keeps coming off

I feel an idiot for not being able to get this damned thing fixed myself,
but I have a smallish bench mounted metal cutting bandsaw of good quality.
OK, she's done a bit of work before I got her, but there's no wear in the
bearings and the cast iron wheels run true. I have played with blade
tension (tighter seems more reliable) and with the top (none powered wheel)
tilt, which is adjustable, and the blade guide ball bearings, which are
adjustable, but STILL the blade will suddenly jump off one of the wheels. 3
things look less than perfect. the wheels had some sort o gritty coating,
when new, like coarse carborundum paper, this is now quite worn. The blade
makes a noticeable jump as the welded part passes through the work piece.
Nothing much, but when worked hard it is audible and can be felt. Finally
the blade is quite old and not as sharp as it might be. Cutting alloy makes
the blade come off more than steel.. Can anyone with experience of these
machines point me in any directions to look to? Thanks!