Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

Default paradigm shift wi/o a clutch was OT - "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:53:29 -0500, the renowned Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Gus" wrote in message
ups.com...

[snip]

And can't there be ethical questions outside of
religion?

Certainly there are. But almost all of the ones that give trouble in
medicine come from religion.

I'm reminded of an old friend of mine, taught by the Jesuits and
Harvard-educated, an old-time Catholic, who says his God "is an angry God."
g He prefers the Old Testament. And then I was reading today a reference
to a passage from Deuteronomy 21:10 that they must have skipped in parochial
school, but which I had read as an adult, in which the Bible proclaims a
right to capture women in battle, shave their heads, lock them up for a
month, rape them into matrimony, and then deny them the right to an abortion
afterward.

I too looked into the bibles available to me, the King James and Young's
Literal Translation, which say more or less the same thing. It's a
statement of either custom and/or law on the handling of captive women,
in the context of the day.

But I cannot see anything about denial of abortion rights, or even the
slightest most oblique reference to the issue. Could you help me find
the thread here? I must say that the reference to abortion mystified
me, as these verses have to be 5,000 years old, long before medical
abortion became remotely practical.

Joe Gwinn

The site http://www.biblegateway.com has more translations than you
can shake a stick at.

The passage seems to say that when you capture an enemy woman you
should let herself get cleaned up, get her some new clothes and give
her a month to get over the fact that your guys have slaughtered her
family. Only then can you take liberties with her, and if you decide
to dump her, you have to just let her go rather than passing your
right of ownership to someone else. I don't see anything there
relating to abortion.

Also, Exodus 22 (New Living Translation)

2"If a thief is caught in the act of breaking into a house and is
killed in the process, the person who killed the thief is not guilty.
3But if it happens in daylight, the one who killed the thief is guilty
of murder.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany