Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mills and Drills

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to :

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Gunner :
On 24 Jan 2006 19:35:20 -0800, wrote:

[ ... ]

Darren...Im a machine tool repair tech. Find yourself a nice Logan
11" lathe in reasonable condition.

A nice machine -- but too much for him to get upstairs. Narrow,

[ ... ]

Southbend heavy 10 would be my second choice. Shrug. I like the
Logans. Simple, easy to run, noisy though..shrug again.

Hmm ... I'm not sure whether the noise will be another problem.
I guess that it depends on whether his downstairs neighbors are deaf. :-)

@#$%!

Here we go again. I was zeroing in on a 9" Logan before the noise issue
came up.

Is this a genral problem with Logans more than others?

No -- it depends on the work you are doing. But any workpiece
out of balance will transfer energy to the floor through the feet --
either of the lathe or the table on which you mount the lathe, depending
on whether it comes with a stand or not.

If the bit starts to chatter, that will probably produce some
interesting sounds downstairs -- with *any* size and brand of lathe.

Old belts can take a set, and introduce more vibration than
fresh belts would. A gearhead lathe will probably generate a different
kind of noise from the meshing of the gears -- but they would be to
heavy to get up to your apartment anyway.

Rubber pads between the feet and the floor will reduce that
somewhat -- but will allow lathe bed warp from not having a rigid
mounting. (Of course, your floor is not that rigid anyway -- a concrete
floor would be better. But that slight inaccuracy probably won't be a
problem with the kind of parts you are making.

Nope. Ok, fromthatprevious post it seemed as though Logans were just
generally more noisy lathes. But as long as that's not the case...

Obviously swapping out the motor is way out of the question.

Huh? The motor simply provides the power, and assuming that it
is properly balanced (including the pulley), it will generate less noise
than the actual work being done on the lathe. Light cuts at the right
speeds will be quiet, wrong speeds or too heavy a cut will lead to
chatter, and that will transfer through the floor to downstairs.

I wa thinking that the motor and the specific matellurgical properties
of the gears made the lathe noiseir than others. But again, wince what
you mentioned applies to all lathes, then no problem.

(The Logan
I was thinking about doesn't ahve quick change gears either, so perhaps
this is for the best).

Quick change is convenient -- but it adds to the weight. The
little Atlas (6x18) never came with quick-change. Larger ones had
quick-change as an option.

Even though it wasn't spec, perhaps there is a way to add QC gears to
the Logan in the future?(It's a Logan model 400).

Really -- get something small and cheap, and start using it.
You *will* need something better, but the only way to learn what you
will need is to get experience doing *your* kind of jobs on it. For
this, a small, used machine will hold its value better when you discover
that you need more machine (and a proper place to *put* that larger
machine), so you can re-sell it without a significant loss.

Hmmm... That brings me back to the Microlux from Micro-Mark...

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.