Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

Default Earthing query

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:06:12 -0000 someone who may be "Blair"
wrote this:-

I should have said that I have a metal junction box where the cable

armour
is earthed as you say but I am proposing to change this to a plastic
junction box, and there will be no earth available.

Why will there suddenly be no earth available because you change the
box?

Can I safely do this?

Assuming the junction box is at the other end of the cable to the
pump. No.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

The metal junction box is at the pump end of the cable and the metal
protection is connected to the gland which is used for the cable. If I
replace the metal box with a plastic one this gland will not be in contact
with any metal and therefore not earthed..
Of course there is an earth wire within the cable. Are you suggesting that
the metal protection should be connected to this earth?
Blair