Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Hinge

Default Pier Stress Calculations Required?

Thanks for the reply )

I think it's safe to assume that we will, the internal wall is only a
single brick thick, and the Edwardian construction means that there is
very little in the way of foundations, plus more mortar than brick in
some areas!

Admittedly you *might* get away without a pier on that side, neighbours
up the road with almost the same house as ours simply had the steel
sitting on a lintel set into the internal wall. However this also means
disruption to the other side of the internal wall, which I am keen to
avoid if possible. Also not sure if the neighbours work went through
building regs anyway.

Cheers,

MH