Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Earth terminal

On 25 Jan 2006 16:17:34 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire require
connecting to the sockets from this ternminal.

No, it goes straight to the terminal on the socket on a plastic box.
On a metal box a flying earth lead should go from the terminal on
the socket to the one on the box, to preserve earth continuity if
the screws are lose or not present.

It seems redundant to me
serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.

On a light switch it generally serves as somewhere to connect the
earth lead without the possibility of it working lose and making
contact with an energised terminal. If a plastic switch is replaced
with a metal one then the earth lead is also neatly ready to be
connected to the terminal on the switch.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh