Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Parquet Flooring and Flagstones, Problem!

On 25 Jan 2006 10:26:34 -0800, wrote:

The problem is that people tend to destroy the very thing they want -
you see it everywhere; old cottage has complete makeover, repointing,
re-roofing, new doors and windows, caustic dipped doors, replastering,
outbuildings demolished, new wide gravel driveway, coach lamps from
B&Q, etc etc. Then when it's all done virtually every vestige of the
picturesque old building had been eliminated and it might as well be
new built.
So I think it is essential to persuade people to leave well alone and
try to do the minimum necessary - if it turns out not to be enough they
can always do a bit more, but if you do it all at the beginning there
is no going back. Once it's gone it's gone forever.
"Thats how buildlings develop over time" not so. It used to be in bits
and bobs as repairs or small changes were needed - nowadays it's a
disastrous irreversible major facelift or nothing.

cheers

Jacob

I don't think that has ever really been the case. New wings added, bits
burnt down and replaced..beams covered up..beams exposed again..all
according to the fashion of the day.

I mean how DO you create a tudor bathroom? hot coppers on an open fire and
an oubliette into a bucket in the street?

Come on.

Even Ray Mears uses a high carbon steel machete...not a buch of flints on a
stick.