Posted to alt.home.repair
John Willis

Default Wallpaper over un-primed drywall

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:37:58 GMT, "eagleeye1200"
scribbled this interesting note:

Looking to strip wallpaper. Looks like the wallpaper was installed directly
over wallboard without priming. I think the wallboard is older as the paper
is kind of a brown/grey cardboard looking substance as opposed to the
"white" paper of todays wallboard.

Any suggestions on whether I can get the old wallpaper off without severely
damaging the underlying wallboard?

thanks,

Warm water in a spray bottle. With a little dishwashing soap. Spray
and let it soak. Repeat. Walk away from it for a long while. Spray it
again.

Eventually it will begin to release.

Eventually.

Don't fret too much about damaging the paper on the 'rock. That paper
is cheap and full of acid, hence the color. When it was new, it too
was white. The acid content of the paper is what turned it brown.

You will need to float out the wall to stabilize that old, brittle,
paper. It isn't hard. Do a search to find out how.

You will get the best results by removing the paper, floating out the
wall, and then doing whatever it is you want to do to that wall.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)