Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Tip: Getting lowest cost estimate for home remodeling project

Your comments were better than mine. I'm sure that anyone who takes his
advice will end up with a poor or unfinished job.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Churchill wrote:
When getting house remodeling cost estimates, try to schedule the
contractors to come to the jobsite around the same time so that they
will see each other. Nothing lowers your estimates like some
competition! I have had Contractors say to me on the spot, "I will
beat the lowest price that you get from any of those other
Contractors."

John Churchill
Builder and Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Ha ha ha ha ha! Good one!

Oh, wait...you're serious?

If someone is naive enough to take the guy that guarantees to beat the
lowest price, they'll get what they deserve.

Ever consider that someone could just tell the contractors that they
were getting other bids?

What you suggest is rude. It lacks common courtesy and suggests you
personally lack class. There's no reason to make anyone uncomfortable
while getting bids...unless you're just a schmuck and enjoy that sort
of thing.