Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Getting lowest cost estimate for home remodeling project

That's ridiculous. You may end up getting the lowest price, but because you
can't spend enough time with each individual contractor, you have no idea
what kind of work the low bidder does, so you will probably end up with poor
workmanship. In addition, most advice on hiring someone says not to hire the
lowest bidder, but to hire someone in the middle. In 20 years, 2 people have
done that to me. In neither case did I bother to bid the job. That's just a
stupid idea.

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
When getting house remodeling cost estimates, try to schedule the
contractors to come to the jobsite around the same time so that they
will see each other. Nothing lowers your estimates like some
competition! I have had Contractors say to me on the spot, "I will
beat the lowest price that you get from any of those other
Contractors."

John Churchill
Builder and Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com