Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Default basics in designing rocking chairs

Pig wrote:
As advice to a newbie in building rocking chairs, I would suggest the
first effort be made from a plan, as when I tried to design my own all
the parts didn't go together all that well - I had no insight as to the
varying angles for the mortises and tenons in the lower frame of the
chair....so I went out and bought a book that had a plan and it came
out just fine. My second chair was my original design built with the
lessons learned and insights from having built the first from the plan.

I second that opinion. I've designed a lot of my own furniture, but I
wouldn't attempt a rocking chair until I built one from a plan first.
Too many angles to keep up with. And if you make all 90 degree angles
to simplify, the chair would be uncomfortable and wouldn't look right
either.

DonkeyHody
"Don't ever wrestle with a pig. You'll both get muddy, but the pig
likes it."