Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default Do it yourself tool rigging

Well, if you are in the west suburban Chicago area, try Diamond Rigging
(Riggers?) in Batavia.

I suspect a major reason for the low cost of the $200 delivery charge was
that I was willing to make myself available to accept delivery whenever they
had a partial load going to my area. The higher cost for downstairs
transport was probably due to the unknowns in getting it down there and the
PITA and liability factors that come into play for residential work.

Mike

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
I'd just have them do it for that price -- but the local riggers won't!

Mike Henry wrote:

The local riggers wanted $700-900 to move the lathe downstairs, but only
charged $200 to deliver to the garage. Another member of the group here
helped get it into the basement and we've done a similar move for his
Rockwell lathe. The local rigger didn't want to bother with the grinder
base, though he did offer to loan me a come-along. Another rigger quoted
me $1400 to move the base and that was way beyond my budget. The winch
and frame approach was an amalgam of suggestions from here and a few
other related web fora.

Mike