Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Mounting mailbox on a springy mount (like garage door spring)

Where I live, the state owns the mail box holders and boxes. The Feds in some way
owns the boxes also.

When someone on the way back from the "over the line" booze stores - and runs over
a set of boxes - someone has to call the state. With the correct amount of boxes
otherwise only the number asked for is delivered and installed.

When ours went - neighbors said 2 - when it was 4 on the post. Two of us
had to go out and buy matching boxes. I have the number posted and hope to
get there first next time.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus16163 wrote:
On 25 Jan 2006 10:03:27 -0800, wrote:

I like the brick option- would deter deliberate ramming, and its
'approved'.

The trouble is... I think that most "ramming", for my mailbox, is not
deliberate. One was a hit by a snowplow, hardly deliberate, and
another, yesterday, was clearly some driver not paying attention. I
concluded that by seeing parts of their car that he or she left
(mirror).

My village requires mailboxes to have thin walls of 1/4 of a brick.

So... I am going to have a thin walled brick mailbox, that will have
major damage after being hit, that would be hard to relair. Hardly
worthwhile.

I have almost decided to have a swing away mailbox. Maybe with
reinforcement around the actual mailbox.