Daniel A. Mitchell

Default The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World!

As others have already stated, most really large Diesels are started
from a reservoir of compressed air. The engine's valves can be retimed
to allow this. The engine is run up to some low speed like a steam
engine, then the valves are reconfigured, and the oil injection started.

Smaller Diesels are usually started electrically. Some have starter
motors. Many are used to run big generators, which sometimes can be
configured as motors to start their Diesel.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Dan Mitchell

Roy wrote:

It may have already been posted and I did not see it, but how do you
start that sucker? I assume that electric motor in the forground near
the large gear is for turning over the crankshaft assembly during
assembly.

Hell, a 100 Taliban could hide out in that crankcase.
--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com