Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tomcas

Default pinewood derby

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Narrowing the tire tread to a V has three benefits:
1.) Lowers the moment of inertial of the wheels, so the accelerate faster.
2.) Cuts air resistance of the wheel.
3.) Lowers rolling resistance.

Technically, we cannot make this type of modification. A little truing
up we can get away with but major changes like this to the wheels are
expressly prohibited in the rules included with the kit. Besides:
According to the experts air resistance has been discounted as
irrelevant at these speeds . I don't buy into the lower rolling
resistance theory. The only one I'm buying is the rotational inertia
effect but I'm going to double check with the expert (chief engineer).